Shop Associate (P/T)
This is a 28-hour-per-week position in The Shop at Fairchild, reporting to the Shop Manager.
Shop Associates should be prepared to work as part of a team by being friendly, courteous, and respectful of fellow team members and expressing a positive attitude. They are expected to be active salespeople and provide exceptional guest services. Associates work with a sense of urgency within designated time frames in order to complete tasks and actively seek out new assignments. Associates should arrive on time and be ready to work at the start of their shift. Associates are expected to work standing and walking throughout their shift, but sitting or driving may also be included in the day’s tasks. They frequently lift up to 30 pounds, with occasional lifting up to 50 pounds, and are expected to climb ladders while holding merchandise. They are expected to work in both indoor and outdoor environments according to their assigned tasks for the day.
• Sales of memberships, tickets, store merchandise, and coffee/snacks. The candidate will be required to meet minimum sales goals as a condition of employment.
• Providing outstanding customer service to Garden guests, including but not limited to greeting, encouraging membership, assisting with purchases, and providing Garden information.
• Merchandising and stocking.
• Performing inventory counts and Shop tasks as assigned.
• Performing departmental clerical tasks as assigned and answering the phone.
• Managing the store Twitter account.
• Substituting in other areas of the department as scheduled, including driving Garden vehicles and opening/closing kiosks with water stations. Driving the tram is a requirement of the position (CDL license is not required).
• Position will require sitting, standing, bending, lifting, and driving. The ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds, with occasional lifting up to 50 pounds, is required.
• Candidate will be expected to hold keys in order to occasionally open/close store and provide basic customer service resolution in the absence of the Shop Manager or Assistant Manager.
• Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
• The ability to work a flexible schedule, including day shifts, night shifts, weekends, and holidays
• A commitment to superior customer service
• Strong computer skills, including Excel and Word.
• Excellent communication skills and inter-personal skills
• Cash handling, sales, and customer service experience preferred
• Valid Driver’s License
To apply for this position, please email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 305.663.4944. No phone calls or walk-ins please. Resumes will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Director of Volunteer Services
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden seeks a Director of Volunteer Services to lead its large and highly successful volunteer program. Suitable candidates will possess the experience, drive and energy to manage a busy office and a dedicated corps of 700 regular and 500 special event volunteers that are well integrated into the Garden’s culture and workforce.
The Director of Volunteer Services interacts with a large, diverse group of people in a dynamic environment. Fairchild is located in one of the most vibrant metropolitan areas in the United States, and recruits volunteers from throughout the community. Volunteers serve key roles in the education, science, and horticulture programs, and in visitor interaction, outreach, and special events.
The position reports to the Garden Director. The Volunteer Services Department, working with other program managers, plans and coordinates recruitment, orientation, training, evaluation, record-keeping and recognition, plans and implements new and expanded needs for volunteers, and ensures that staff are trained to work with volunteers.
• Direct, coordinate and facilitate all functions of the Volunteer Services Department, including formal and informal volunteer and staff orientation and training.
• Work with staff to continuously assess needs and opportunities for volunteers.
• Direct recruitment strategies to attract the quantity and diversity of volunteers needed.
• Facilitate productive working relationships among staff and volunteers, and be a resource for problem solving.
• Train and coach staff on the best practices of volunteer management.
• Work with the Friends of Fairchild volunteer committee to provide ongoing social and educational opportunities for volunteers.
• Plan and lead volunteer recognition events.
• Oversee the department budget.
• Maintain knowledge of best practices and trends in volunteer management.
• Serve on the Garden’s management team.
• Assist with other duties as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in volunteer management.
• Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills.
• Excellent written and communication skills, including public speaking experience.
• Highly energetic and cooperative; able to lead, and to serve on, a team.
• Ability and desire to work both indoors and outdoors.
• Ability to work weekdays, weekends or evenings as needed
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Rose Ricks, Science Village Assistant, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on November 14. Applications will be reviewed and selected candidates interviewed until the position is filled. Equal Opportunity Employer/Compliance with ADA/Drug-free Workplace.
This position will assist in delivering environmental science-based educational programming to elementary and/or secondary students at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Programs run weekly during the school year from 9:30 am – 1:00 pm; must be able to commit to at least one day per week (during program hours) for fall and/or spring semester. Preference will be given to those who are available September – May.
Note: Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis
Candidates must submit a resume, brief cover letter, and application to Amy Padolf, Director of Education.